Sunday, October 11, 2009

Update on the "Big Girl Bed" Transition

Well, it's officially been one week since Eva started sleeping in her new bed. There is much to say, much to tell, but most importantly, I think, is this: I'M CALLING IT A SUCCESS! The second most important thing that needs to be said is this: I'M EXHAUSTED! Completely and utterly depleted.
At the start of this whole ordeal last Sunday, I convinced myself that this would be an "every day gets a little bit better" scenario. It has not. Not even close. Days 1-5 were completely erratic and sporadic. Pure craziness, magnified by the fact that I was so sleep deprived. The main reason for my lack of sleep was not necessarily Eva's escapes from bed at night, although they were plentiful. It was more that I was anticipating her waking up and escaping and it kept me up. I'm an insomniac- all my college roommates can attest to that- but this week it has escalated to an entirely new level of insanity. By day 4 I was going on 1 days worth of sleep. This is not the way to tackle such a monstrous event in the life of a toddler!!
My strategy was pretty simple. Every day at both naptime and bedtime, I did our normal routine (stories, songs, prayers, kisses, say "night night time now, Eva". At bedtime we add bath and teeth brushing, and extend the other stuff a little bit. Then, I'd lay her in her bed. First 2 days I sat on the floor next to her bed and waited. If she stood up to her feet, I laid her down, but said nothing, and gave no eye contact. I stayed next to the bed until she fell asleep. Days 3-5, I did the same thing, except moved farther from the bed to sit down and wait. Day 6, I moved even farther. Day 7, I stayed for a few minutes until she seemed settled, but left before she fell asleep. I'll keep doing this for the next week and see how it goes. Days 6 and 7, I saw a lot of improvement, but up until that point, I was ready to give up! Some days I was spending 45-60 minutes in the room with her and it was getting OLD!! Occasionally, she'd go right down and fall asleep within 5 minutes, and then the next day she'd be a crazy girl in the bed and I'd have to lay her down 9 million times! This inconsistency was the hardest. There was no telling what the event would hold from day to day.
However, like I said, yesterday and today were much better. I stayed in the room for less than 10 minutes at each of the 4 naps/bedtimes. And, she hardly tried to escape! She's woken up some nights several times and come into our room (and some nights not at all). We've simply taken her right back to her room and laid her down, waiting with her until she's settled, but not waiting until she falls asleep. Of course, I can't fall asleep until I know she is, so I just lie in bed and wait- boo!!
To complicate it all, Mike had to leave for days 5, 6, and 7 to go to a college friend's wedding in Illinois. This amplified the exhaustion, too, because I was on my own. My advice to anyone who might attempt the crib to bed transition is to make sure it's at a time when both mom and dad are there to tag team, and try to avoid illness, too! Eva was sick this week (worst on Wed and Thurs) and it made things much more difficult.
So, that's the story.  There's no going back now :)

1 comment:


We're the Wells family. We currently consist of Michael (husband and daddy), Lauren (wife and mama), Evangeline (daughter and princess), and Samuel (son and prince). We live a pretty simple life loving the many blessings that God grants us each and every day.
Mike is a genius carpenter/contractor and works throughout neighboring counties. Lauren stays at home with Eva and Sam most of the time, but works a few days a week as a therapist.
More than anything else, we love being together as a family- trips to the gardens, swimming at Grammie and Papa's house, and bike rides & walks are probably our most frequent activities. We're surrounded by our family (siblings and parents); they all live within 30 minutes of us!
That's us in a nut shell.
We're thankful you dropped by our site!